Monday, July 11, 2011

Mixology Monday: The Wind-Up Bird

When I read this month's Mixology Monday, hosted by Frederic at Cocktail Virgin Slut, I was a bit trepidatious.  I've ordered a number of beer cocktails over the years but made scant few.  Most fall into one of two camps.  Some play off the velvet texture and chocolate notes of stouts.  Others center on the citrus elements of wheat beer.  This being summer in D.C., I opted for the latter.  My beer of choice was a Napa Smith Brewery's wheat beer.  I've named the drink the Wind-Up Bird Cocktail.

Ingredients
6 ounces of wheat beer (Napa Smith Brewery)
0.75 ounce of sloe gin (Plymouth)
0.5 ounce of scotch (Chivas Regal)
0.75 ounce of fresh white grapefruit juice 

Directions
Strain grapefruit juice into a glass.  Add the sloe gin, scotch, and beer and garnish with a grapefruit peal.

Outcome
The Wind-Up Bird proved well balanced, featuring no dominant flavor but instead a coherent blend of several.  The taste of the beer comes out first and throughout, but largely yields to the interplay between the sweetness of the sloe gin and the tartness of the grapefruit juice.  The scotch probably shows the least, but the smokey flavor informs the swallow.  I was curious whether the drink would be too sweet or now, but it turned out to be balanced in that department as well.  All in all, this is a very refreshing summer drink and one that I'm eager to make again for myself or guests.

3 comments:

  1. Adam, thank you for your MxMo submission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like beer and grapefruit juice on the rocks. About half and half, depending on the beer, with a salt-rimmed glass. This recipe sounds interesting. I have Canadian whiskey, sweet vermouth. That could possibly sub. Don't feel like running to the package store right now...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...so I didn't have any grapefruit juice but had pineapple. So, beer, Canadian whiskey, sweet vermouth, and pineapple juice in a salt-rimmed, rocks-filled glass. I didn't measure. Really tastes good with the salt and a squeeze of lime. I'm calling it "Sataftspec" (try saying that 3 times in a row...lol) for Sat. afternoon special. Works for me. Go ahead...I dare ya...TRY IT!!!! My neighbors were partying all night and woke me up and this cocktail hits the spot right now. Maybe I should call the drink the SaturdayAspect. I bartended for years. Have fun!!!

      Delete