Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's All About the Proportions: The Chrysanthemum Cocktail

Some cocktails are like burgers.  A burger is good if it's a little raw or a little overcooked.  It's a forgiving food.  I might put a daiquiri in this boat with respect to sensitivity, though for booze and not heat.  A little too much rum or lime won't kill the drink.  Conversely, other cocktails are like certain seafood, such as scallops, where too little cooking makes it raw and both unpalatable and unsafe.  Too much time on the skillet and it becomes a rubbery mess.  Certain cocktails share this precariousness, chief among them, cocktails with very potent spirits.  The precise amount of absinthe, Chartreuse, or elderflower liqueur will make or break many drinks.  This was the case with the Chrysanthemum Cocktail. This cocktail is a particularly good example because of the wide range of Benedictine, a very potent and sweet liqueur, in it that I saw in various recipes for the drink.

Ingredients
2 ounces of dry vermouth (Dollin)
1 ounce of Benedictine
1 teaspoon of absinthe (Leopold Bros.)

Directions
Shake ingredients with ice and garnish with an orange peel.

Outcome
I almost really liked this drink.  I thought the flavor interplay between the absinthe was interesting and the orange peel cut though it nicely.  However, there was simply too much Benedictine for my taste or for that of my wife who though the cocktail was syrupy to the point of borderline disgusting.  Benedictine, in addition to being sweet, is quite syrupy.  The recipes that I saw ranged from 0.25 to 1.25 ounces of the stuff, with most at the one once mark.  I look forward to trying this again with a bit less, perhaps 0.25.  I'll make note here of my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment