Monday, July 25, 2011

Adventures with Pimm's: South of Wimbledon Cocktail

This being a remarkably hot stretch in DC, I have found myself (and company) wanting cocktails on the light and refreshing side.  Thus, I have revisited Pimm's.  However, I was looking for something a bit punchier than a standard Pimm's Cup and perhaps a bit more complex.  I have found tequila to work well with herbal/savory drinks so with that in mind I designed the Cocktail, South of Wimbledon.

Ingredients
1 ounce of blanco tequila
1 ounce of Pimm's
.5 ounce of lemon juice
3 ounces of ginger ale

Directions

Shake tequila, Pimm's, and lemon juice and strain into a tall glass with ice.  Top with ginger ale and garnish with a cucumber spear and lemon peal.

Outcome

The South of Wimbledon Cocktail turned out very nice.  Two days after first making one, my wife requested one of her own, always a good sign.  I also gave it to a few guests at a small gathering we had and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  As for the flavor, this is a drink lacking a dominant flavor, though the lemon probably cuts through more than anything else.  The Pimm's adds sweetness but not so much as to overwhelm the other flavors.  I thought that the tequila and the cucumber made for a nice background for the drink.  I think that this is very much a warm weather beverage and a pretty light one at that.  Even though it wasn't too sweet, the sugar in the ginger ale and Pimm's combined with the relatively low alcohol content was such such that I don't think this is a particularly good vehicle towards a serious buzz but rather a way to cool off with something interesting.  It was a fair amount of work to put together with the pealing of a cucumber and the juicing of the lemon, but made in bulk, it was manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment