Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Church and State Bar

After dinner, I finally made it to a cool bar I'd been hearing about for a while.  It was Church and State in the upcoming H Street neighborhood here in D.C.  The bar, which sits upstairs above a restaurant was decorated with items that looked to be from churches, in particular the lights and a round stained glass window.  Although only of few folks were there at the time (we stopped by around 7:30) it had a really cool vibe.  We sat at the bar and the first thing that struck me was that I hardly recognized any of the bottles on the wall.  The bartender told me that it was one of the bar's theme's of sorts and that they get their liquors stateside, largely from California and make other ingredients.  The only exception might be rum - though perhaps Porto Rico counts as domestic.  My wife had a Jack Rose (probably her standard drink), which she liked.  I had a Sazerack, which was made quite well.  We chatted up the bartender a little bit, and true to DC form, he was here while trying to sell his documentary.  All in all, a cool bar - though I still prefer my neighborhood haunt - Sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment