Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Irish Surpise: The Paddy Cocktail

I have previously discussed how produce availability can determine drinking, but so too can the booze.  Certain spirits and vermouth have a very limited shelf life once opened and this was the case with my Dollin sweet vermouth, which I wanted to get more out of before it sours.  Looking though a couple of books, I came upon a drink called the Paddy Cocktail that uses both sweet vermouth and Irish whiskey.  Though I've long had some Jamison, I've never been super keen on Irish whiskey, preferring bourbon or rhy for the most part.  Nonetheless, I gave this drink a try.

Ingredients
1 ounce of Irish whiskey
1 ounce of sweet vermouth
1 dash of Angostura bitters
Lemon twist

Directions
Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with lemon.

Taste (flavor, balance, and clarity): 8
Though not complex, this was one of the cleanest, most coherent cocktails that I've had in a while.  The lemon and bitters bridge the vermouth and whiskey. It was far smoother than any drink I've had using Irish whiskey and really showcased the vermouth without being sweet.

Versatility (when and for whom the drink works): 7
This drink works for any number of occasions and people, with the only caveat being that it is strong.  As such, folks like my wife who prefer drinks that are cut with something other than booze might not be in love with it, though she though it was pretty good, if a bit strong for her tastes.

Hassle (Cost and Time): 8.5
This drink was very easy to make (the only easier drinks involve simply pouring the booze on the rocks and no straining and drinks with no garnish).  The ingredients were quite cheap as well. 

Overall:  8
This Paddy Cocktail surprised me.  As I mentioned, I'm not the biggest fan of Irish whiskey.  However, with its ease and simplicity, combined with the seamless transition from ingredient to ingredient, this cocktail proved excellent and worth having again.

No comments:

Post a Comment