Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are you ready for some raw egg? Pisco Sour time!

My new booze of the month for April is La Diablada pisco, an alcholado.  It adds to my list of brandy variants, which includes two VSOP brandies, Laird's apple brandy, a pear brandy, and Gran Marnier.  The principle drink one makes with pisco is the pisco sour.  I tried this drink at a Peruvian restaurant a long time ago, though I'm not sure if I knew at the time that it had egg in it.  Anyway, I went forth with the pisco sour, though my wife was not up for it.

Ingredients
1.5 ounces of pisco
0.75 ounces of simple syrup
0.75 ounces of lime juice
1 dash of angostura bitters

Directions
In shaker mix pisco, lime, and egg.  Then add ice and shake and strain into a whiskey (or pisco) glass.  Add sever drops of bitters to the top.

Taste (flavor, balance, and clarity): 7

I'm not sure what to say here.  The taste was good but slightly underwhelming, and not quite as good as I remember.  The cocktail was balanced and generally tasty but left me a bit disappointed.  I think that part of the problem was that I started thinking a bit too much about the raw egg, particularly when I got to the foam at the end of the drink.
 
Versatility (when and for who the drinks works): 4
This is primarily a warm-weather drink (which is the case most of the time in Peru and parts of Chile.  I'm not sure if this is something that you sip inside on a cold night.  I think it's best use if on the deck while grilling or some such nonsense.  As for who would drink works for, I think you can rule out most folks based on the egg alone.

Hassle (cost and time): 3
Perhaps I need practice, but it took me a couple of tries to separate the egg white without getting any shell.  Then you have to shake it twice.  I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but when I shook it to mix the egg, the shaker got some pressure and basically pushed itself apart when I was done, letting out a bit of egg goop.  The drink also involves juicing a lime and making simple syrup.  I will not be offering this drink at parties, based on the amount of time and work.  The cost was neither cheap nor expensive, as pisco isn't too much, thought the egg (I used farmers market organic to try to avoid getting sick) and the lime added at bit.

Overall: 5
Not a bad drink, but not the exotic treat I was hoping for. The flavor was nice and the texture was unique based on the egg. Nonetheless, I think that there are tastier drinks and the limited appeal and the amount of prep work makes this drink a bit limited.  I'll give it another try, perhaps tweaking the ingredient ratio, but this will not make the regular rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment